Friday, May 30, 2014

What now? My world was tubmling in



I want to say I kind of guessed something was wrong when I went from one test to the other. When my doctor called in her soft gentle angel like voice, explaining that my 3rd mammography was positive for cancer.  I was ok her voice was so reassuring  But it was later when the nurse called and announced the visit with the Oncologist that I just broke up in tears and sat crying at my desk for several hours.  I asked the nurse what stage it was and after I found the following information on the internet.  I was devastated.  After my entire mother had stage three inflammatory cancer, at about age 50. I lived with her through it so I had a good idea of what it can look like.  It is like your whole world God a death sentence - here I desire to grow old to be a mother for the last two kids and a grandmother for all four kids’ kids.  Just like Paul addressed the women saying that he was mindful of the grandmother’s faith and the mother and hers – that is what I wanted my legacy to be and now I just received a death sentence.

2 Timothy 1:5 4longing to see you, even as I recall your tears, so that I may be filled with joy. 5For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well

For part of it I felt I can't do this - perhaps I will run away - perhaps I will just end it all...  I had so many other things to deal with in my life right now, in my job and relationships how can God expect me to take on more.  It was a time of brokenness.


That night was a long cold night;   It was like I could not fall asleep just tossing from side to side.  At times tear will just run down my cheeks with no noise just a fountain draining from my soul.  I don’t want to be dead I want to live.  My ex-husband that was now my domestic spouse after we started working on restoring our relationship was just like me overcome by the news.  I would say he was more in denial than even me.  We had so many new plans for restoring our life and getting married building a new house, travelling the world, getting old together and holding hand when we were ninety.  We have just recently renewed our love after a divorce of 25 years and separation of just less than 2 years.  Why this? Why now?  



Stage III
Stage III is divided into subcategories known as IIIA, IIIB, and IIIC.
Stage IIIA describes invasive breast cancer in which either:
  • no tumor is found in the breast or the tumor may be any size; cancer is found in 4 to 9 axillary lymph nodes or in the lymph nodes near the breastbone (found during imaging tests or a physical exam) OR
  • the tumor is larger than 5 centimeters; small groups of breast cancer cells (larger than 0.2 millimeter but not larger than 2 millimeters) are found in the lymph nodes OR
  • the tumor is larger than 5 centimeters; cancer has spread to 1 to 3 axillary lymph nodes or to the lymph nodes near the breastbone (found during a sentinel lymph node biopsy)
Stage IIIB describes invasive breast cancer in which:
  • the tumor may be any size and has spread to the chest wall and/or skin of the breast and caused swelling or an ulcer AND
  • may have spread to up to 9 axillary lymph nodes OR
  • may have spread to lymph nodes near the breastbone
Inflammatory breast cancer is considered at least stage IIIB. Typical features of inflammatory breast cancer include:
  • reddening of a large portion of the breast skin
  • the breast feels warm and may be swollen
  • cancer cells have spread to the lymph nodes and may be found in the skin
Stage IIIC describes invasive breast cancer in which:
  • there may be no sign of cancer in the breast or, if there is a tumor, it may be any size and may have spread to the chest wall and/or the skin of the breast AND
  • the cancer has spread to 10 or more axillary lymph nodes OR
  • the cancer has spread to lymph nodes above or below the collarbone OR
  • the cancer has spread to axillary lymph nodes or to lymph nodes near the breastbone
Learn about what treatments you can generally expect for stage IIIA and operable IIIC in the Options by Cancer Stage: Stage IIIA and Operable IIIC page in Planning Your Treatment.
Learn about what treatments you can generally expect for stage IIIB and inoperable IIIC in the Options by Cancer Stage: Stage IIIB and Inoperable IIIC page in Planning Your Treatment.

Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy is the most commonly used treatment when cancer has spread. The drugs kill cancer cells or slow their growth. There are many types of chemotherapy drugs, which are often used in different combinations and strengths. Treatment is usually given over a few hours or days, followed by a rest period of 2–3 weeks. Most people usually have several courses of treatment.
The chemotherapy drugs are usually given by injecting the drugs into a vein (intravenously), but can also be given as tablets or capsules (orally). Ask your doctor which combination of drugs is best for you, and how long your treatment will last.
Side effects of chemotherapy can include nausea, depression, tiredness and hair loss. Many of these are temporary and can be prevented or reduced. Different types of chemotherapy have different side effects – for instance, not all of them cause hair loss.
For more information see the chemotherapy section.
Surgery
Surgery can remove tumours from affected areas, for example the bowel or lymph nodes. It can also relieve discomfort caused by tumours that obstruct organs or cause bleeding, such as unblocking the bile duct to relieve jaundice in pancreatic cancer.
Your doctor might suggest surgery on organs that stimulate tumour growth because of the hormones they release, for example, removing the testicles to reduce testosterone levels and slow the growth of prostate cancer.
Radiotherapy
Radiotherapy uses radiation, such as x-rays, to kill cancer cells or injure them so that they cannot multiply. This can be precisely targeted at cancer sites in your body. Treatment is carefully planned to do as little harm as possible to your normal body tissues.
Radiotherapy can shrink tumours or stop them from spreading further. It can also relieve symptoms such as pain from secondary cancer in the bones. External beam radiation or internal radiation (brachytherapy) may be offered.
Side effects from radiotherapy can include fatigue, skin problems or loss of appetite. These may be temporary or longer lasting.
For more information see the radiotherapy section.
Hormone therapy
Cancer that grows in response to hormones can often be slowed by taking drugs to suppress the body’s production of the hormone. Other treatments interfere with the effect of hormones on tumour cells.
If you have prostate, breast or uterine cancer, you may be offered hormone therapy. This may cause some side effects.
For women, certain hormonal drugs will cause menopausal symptoms, regardless of your age. Hormonal drugs called aromatase inhibitors may be used if you have been through menopause, and these may cause thinning of the bones (osteoporosis) and vaginal dryness. For men, hormone treatments can produce hot flushes.
Palliative care
Palliative care allows people with advanced cancer to maintain their quality of life. It helps you cope with the symptoms of cancer or its treatment, as well as the practical problems of daily life.
Many people think that palliative care is just for people that are dying, but it is appropriate at any stage of advanced cancer. People can receive palliative care for many months or even years.
Palliative care also involves spiritual care and the support of relatives and carers. It incorporates a range of services offered by medical, nursing and allied health professionals, as well as volunteers and carers.

You can have palliative care while you are having active treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment