Friday, June 20, 2014

Questions in preparation for the plastic surgeon

The days are getting to be short now - it is Friday today and Monday I see the plastic surgeon.  It is apparent now that his job is the most significant because that is what will impact your life most.  I see the questions below are what I am suppose to ask. 
Some thought that had being crossing my mind lately - I have considered if God is in control of everything – which we know that is true –  should one not rest in letting it go it way  - to be try and defy death with all our medical tricks?

I am truly blessed in the sense that there is no expectation for me to have to do chemo.

Question to ask the Plastic Surgeon

Can I have breast reconstruction?    YES
· When can I have reconstruction done?
· What types of reconstruction could I have?  IMPLANTS
· What’s the average cost of each type? Will my insurance cover them? 
MY OUT OF POCKET LIMIT
· What type of reconstruction do you think would be best for me? Why?
· How many of these procedures have you (plastic surgeon) done?  THAT IS ALL HE DOES
· What results can I expect?
· Will the reconstructed breast match my other breast?
· How will my reconstructed breast feel to the touch?
· Will I have any feeling in my reconstructed breast?
· What possible problems should I know about?
· Will there be pain, scars, or other changes in the parts of my body the tissue is taken from (if
using a tissue flap)?
· How much discomfort or pain will I feel?
· How long will I be in the hospital?
· Will I need blood transfusions? If so, can I donate my own blood?
· How long will it take me to recover?
· What will I need to do at home to care for my incisions (surgical wounds)?
· Will I have a drain (tube that lets fluid out of the wound) when I go home?
· How much help will I need at home to take care of my drain and wound?
· When can I start my exercises and work?
· How much activity can I do at home?
· What do I do if my arm swells (this is called lymphedema)?
· When will I be able to go back to normal activities such as driving and working?
· Can I talk with other women who have had the same surgery?
· Will reconstruction interfere with chemotherapy?
· Will reconstruction interfere with radiation therapy?
· How long will the implant last?
· What kinds of changes to the breast can I expect over time?
· How will aging affect the reconstructed breast?
· What happens if I gain or lose weight?
Will they complete my FMLA form?



No comments:

Post a Comment